Thursday, July 31, 2014

Why I am letting my ACM membership lapse

I have been thinking about this lately but interestingly enough, Slashdot is carrying an article on why ACM is not interesting to programmers (link to original article by Vint Cerf).

For me it is pretty simple - ACM and the Communications of the ACM used to be a place where seminal papers and new algorithms used to be published. A place where you could explore clever ideas, tricks and fundamental issues all in once. Now the CACM publication has turned into a semi-scientific, semi-IT-manager set of articles with absolutely no attention paid to people who want to practice _computer science_. I swear, if I read one more article on "enterprise IT something", I am going to organize a public burning of the copy of CACM in question...

No comments: